PROBIOTIC POWER = COLON HEALTH. Part 1
The word probiotic comes from the Greek meaning “for life”. Probiotics can be defined as organisms and substances which contribute to intestinal microbial balance. 3-4 pounds of good bacteria inhabits the small and large colon. A healthy colon and liver are half of one’s immune system! Interferon, B vitamins and many other immune factors are produced from a well functioning bowel. Probiotics are very effective in restoring digestive function in the large and small colons provided some important factors are considered.
Abundant Healthy Colon Bacteria Can
- Protect us from “unfriendly” anaerobic microorganisms such as bacteria, parasites, viruses, yeasts, mold, fungi and diseases from inhabiting there.
- Improve digestion and prevent fermentation of food remains! (sugars, alcohols….) Changing an aerobic (oxygenating!) environment to anaerobic (non-oxygenating!) that suppresses immune function and feeds disease which is ANAEROBIC! Slow moving bowels = old food rotting in the colon and the harmful chemicals are reabsorbed back into the bloodstream! Good digestion Prevents conditions such as irritable bowel, colitis, Crohns, diarrhea, lupus, pancreatitis, glandular function (thyroid…) and many more.
- Maximize nutrient absorption from food! Get your monies worth!
- Protect against invasion of foreign pathogens and other infectious agents and enhance the immune system’s ability to fight infections and disease. Produce natural beneficial interferon and many more immunes system chemicals!
- Probiotic cultures produce Vitamin K and produce B vitamins including B-12 , thiamin, riboflavin, pyridoxine, folic acid, and PABA.
- Lower cholesterol by metabolizing it.
- Control bowel toxicity and decrease the risk of bowel cancer
- Reduce gas production by non-disease-producing microorganisms.
- Protect the body from the potentially devastating effects of accumulated toxins and carcinogenic substances.
- Produce short chain fatty adds that are converted into energy.
- Help protect against unhealthy cholesterol buildup that could lead to cardiovascular disease and even death.
- Skin conditions such as acne, eczema, dermatitis, psoriasis… greatly improve in days once the bowels start moving 2-3 times a day!
- Predigestion of foods by proteolysis, or breaking down proteins to peptides and amino acids.
- Colon flora acidifies the stool by decreasing the pH from 7-8 to 5-6. Thereby preventing harmful bacteria from inhabiting.
Proper digestive function is a 1:1 ratio of meals to bowel movements. If a person eats 3 meals a day, they should have 3 bowel movements. If you do not agree with this just count a breast fed healthy babies bowel movements! Or a wild animal in nature eating their normal diet. I have seen clients have as few as 1 bowel movement a month!
My belief is that 90% of all illnesses are partially caused by CONSTIPATION! Name a condition and it is almost always related to slow moving bowels. Rarely do you see someone ill who eats well and has healthy bowels! Direct digestive problems such as candida yeast and constipation can be greatly assisted by taking a probiotic.
There are 2 main categories of beneficial bacteria probiotics
- RESIDENT – bifidobacteria longum, infantis, lactis, brevis and many more.
– There are 400 plus strains in the human digestive tract. The Small Colon’s stretches approximately 25 feet where the main strain is called Acidophilous.
– The Large Colon reaches 5-6 feet and with the main strain is called Bifidus.
– During a mothers 9 months pre-birth, her probiotics from the mother’s birth canal colonize the infant’s stomach and colon.
– After birth mother’s milk provides colostrum and probiotics.
– After infancy, resident probiotics are supplied to us by raw foods, lactic acid bacteria-fermented foods and probiotic supplements and a healthy digestive tract.
– Mothers Please Note; providing breast milk up to 2 years is ideal but as much as is comfortable from a minimum 6 months to 2 years is very beneficial.
- TRANSIENT – not residing in but can establish small colonies for brief periods of time enhancing beneficial bacteria, before dying off or being flushed from the intestinal system via normal digestive processes.
a. there are many valuable strains such as lactobacillius bulgaricus
b. Soil Based Organisms (SBO or HSO) – a cleansing type of probiotic from the soil. SBO’s also referred to as HSO’s are beneficial because they are very acid resistant and able to fully implant in a wider ph range of unhealthy environments, while simultaneously pushing out harmful bacteria and enhancing beneficial bacteria.
Please Live Forever Healthy!